Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day 18-It's a doozie y'all!

It was a big day for me, and it sort of put me in that "Tiger blood" mode they talk about you getting in days 15-27.

Today was the 90th and final day of the fitness challenge I have been a part of since January 6th. I just really can't believe it's over. No, what I can't believe most is that I actually committed to working out 6 days a week for 3 months (minus 4 days I missed if I'm being completely honest).

The program came at a time when I desperately needed motivation and an answer to my biggest problem...I seriously couldn't go to the gym. I won't drag on the explanation but mix husband's work schedule, no gym daycare, not knowing any sitters, and Hawaii traffic, and, as hard I tried to figure out a way, there just wasn't one.

When I was told about this 90 day challenge by some amazing moms who had their babies right around the time I did, and they wanted to do it together, hold each other accountable, I said okay, no excuses. I've got a built in support system but I don't have to tell anyone in my day-to-day life in case I fall off the wagon. I had the weights, I had Amelia's nap times and I could start immediately. They were four days ahead, but I started that hour and I got caught up really quick.

I did suffer in the beginning. I truly thought I might be out after the first week because of such severe knee pain and inflammation. I went to the doctor and met once with a physical therapist, but we couldn't really make a regular appointment work (thanks to military office hours). I thought I was done if I couldn't do the PT because, how would I get any better? After rest, ice, and gentle walking on cardio days, I started to notice the pain decreasing. I wasn't having flare ups anymore, I was getting some of the extra weight and pressure off my joints and I was correcting my form on my strength training exercises. And now, I'm back to running and I have hardly any discomfort, ever.

I am just so grateful that the program existed and to the ladies who pointed me in this direction, who held my hand and struggled with me, who told me to hang in there and who celebrated with me today! (They got to see my before and after pictures.)

Round 2 starts on May 5th and I think she's either got a mini program for the month in between or I'll just start Round 1 over again for the time being. But I'm going into it 12.5" smaller and 20.6lbs lighter. I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, back in my pre-pregnancy size and I am so ready to continue where I left off almost 2 years ago. I have been on a weight loss journey since June 2011, losing 40lbs, but with a little hiatus there to have my beautiful daughter, then losing 20 of it again, and I am so pumped to keep it going! I beam on the inside over what I have accomplished, and not out of vanity, but because I have done things I never thought I could do. I have discipline and self-control the 2010, 183lb, classified obese (yep...puttin it all out there) version of me never dreamed possible.

So, I've still got 13 days left of this newest endeavor, my Whole30. As excited as I am to return to a "normal" eating life, I am equally excited to work these clean eating techniques and new habits into my new food life. Like I said, I have no intention of binging or celebrating on Day 31. I intend to keep up what has worked and work in a few of the better, "less Paleo" foods that I know work for me and how my body uses food as fuel. I've got a lot more to learn over the next 13 days too!

Today I didn't do so hot on eating enough. This really is a huge struggle for me. I forget to eat or I just don't get to it until I'm starving. That's no way to treat you body, I know. But here was my day...

Breakfast-Larabar...oops.
Lunch-Andouille sausage with steam bag broccoli
Dinner-hamburger patty, baked (in the microwave) sweet potato with a little coconut oil to smooth it, and the rest of my steam bag broccoli.
Snacks-grapes, cashews

Thanks for hanging in there for this long post. I'm feeling inspired and motivated. Most of all, I just want to be the absolute best version of myself for my daughter, my husband, my family and friends, and being healthy and confident in my abilities helps me do that.

I've still got a ways to go (and I'm not just talking about the number on the scale), but I am more confident than ever that it's just past my fingertips.

Love yall and your tremendous support.

xo,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment