Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 13

Truckin' along over here.

Breakfast was leftover Pumpkin Breakfast Pudding (I'm becoming more of a fan of this as the days go on) and two fried eggs. I can't make coffee right now because I'm out of filters. I could have really used it this morning. 

Lunch.was.just.awesome. I used this recipe for Chicken Salad, with a few modifications. I only used about 1lb of chicken (just boiled boneless, skinless breast), I left out the pecans (not on purpose), the red onion (on purpose), I used less of everything to remain proportionate to the chicken, and the only seasonings I used were salt and pepper (and significantly less than she recommends). I put it in one of these Paleo Wraps that I found at out local whole foods store. It's essentially just coconut meat made into a sort of square tortilla. I am a wrap fiend. If there's one on a menu at a restaurant, you can almost bet on me ordering it. So, it was really nice having that option. It didn't taste too coconut-y and gave it an extra texture that I miss not having breads. I had my wrap with Brussel sprouts, almonds and a mix of cantaloupe and honeydew. 

It was so good I had it for dinner too...

I'm excited for the dinner I'm planning tomorrow (so long as I find a whole roasted pepper). 

xo, 
Megan

p.s. I'm well aware that the chicken salad isn't "healthy" per se. I mean mayo is mayo, Paleo or not. The difference in Paleo mayo and real mayo is the use of olive oil instead of vegetable oil and no added sugar. I'm sure it's not terribly lighter as far as fat and calories go (though I haven't looked into it). I used as little light mayo as possible on a sandwich or wrap before starting my Whole30 and only used regular if I felt a recipe deserved the full flavor. So, why am I even bothering making it now and adding it in to my diet more frequently...it seems? Well the majority of the Paleo mayo went to the ranch dressing I made, which I ate a lot of (light versions), before going clean. It also just helps me have some semblance of normality. So, I felt I needed a type of comfort food to keep up my positivity about this endeavor and the chicken salad helped. As I was standing over the bowl with a fork in my hand at 9:30pm, I realized I need to watch myself with it. One of the points of this journey is to come to terms with the fact that food shouldn't be used as a reward or to make me feel better just because I'm tired, irritable, sad, happy...whatever emotion. I just wanted everyone to know that I'm keeping my emotional relationship with food in check as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment